Have you used eSIM card? In this post you will find all the information related to buying and activating e-SIM.
eSIM is the best replacement for the physical sim that we use in our device. These offer many features as you can easily change your SIM card at any time directly through your mobile operator.
Today you cannot even imagine your phone without a SIM card, no phone can be used without a SIM card. SIM card means Subscriber Identification Module. It is a small chip that helps to connect your phone to the network and saves all the user data. In the last few years, the size of the SIM card has become smaller. The micro SIM, mini SIM, and nano SIM worlds may take eSIM cards in the future.
Let us know what is eSIM and how does it work?
What is eSIM
eSIM is called embedded Subscriber Identification Module module. This technology works through software. Earlier this technology was being used in smartwatches. But now this technology is also being used in smartphones. This will also make it easier for users to switch from one operator to another.
People came to know about eSIM after the launch of iPhone XS. An eSIM/eUICC (Embedded SIM or Embedded UICC) is a new system or new technology that can be replaced with your existing SIM card. However, the regular SIM card that you are using can be removed from the phone. But the eSIM cannot be removed once installed in the phone.
Now the biggest question here comes that when will the e-SIM be fully used. For now, it would not be right to say anything about it.
Benefits of using eSIM
E-SIMs are beneficial for all, including OEM manufacturers, users and telecom operators. Here are some of the benefits of using eSIM in India.
- eSIM can save a lot of space inside your smartphone by replacing the slide-in SIM tray with an onboard soldered eSIM. Like a physical SIM card, it doesn’t require a specific card slot
- An eSIM allows you to change your network operator with just a phone call or by making an online request.
- eSIM can store multiple network profiles and it works perfectly all over the world. This is a great option for those who travel a lot.
- The chances of losing an eSIM are very less as compared to a physical SIM card. Once you enable and set up eSIM, you can never lose it, it is a hardware chip on your device and the only way to lose your eSIM is if you lose or break your smartphone. give.
Should we use eSIM?
Of course you can use it. If your device supports it.
eSIM is embedded in the smartphone. Exactly what CDMA phones used to be. This means that your SIM card will never be lost or damaged. Every mobile has different types of SIM slots but with e-SIM you will not have this tension.
The biggest benefit of eSIM will be the passengers. The standard SIM card does not allow access to your number when traveling in other countries. In this case, you can embed eSIM in roaming in the phone. Also, you will be able to easily switch between other operators as well.
Smartphone maker company is reducing the size of the SIM, so that the space can be increased. On the other hand, if the SIM card slot itself is removed from the phone, then you will be able to use other useful things. At the same time, when the SIM card slot space in the phone will be empty, the scope of the new technology will be more.
How to Enable and Setup eSIM on Android and iOS
- Open Settings, and tap on Connections
- Now open SIM card manager and tap on Add Mobile Plan
- Then select the Add Using QR Code option
- Now you have to scan the QR code received on your mail and follow other instructions.
- After scanning tap on Add which will add the eSIM to your device.
If you are using Jio on your Android smartphone, you need to follow a few different steps mentioned below:
- Under Add Using QR Code, you will find the option to Enter Code Instead
- Tap on it and enter activation code like this: LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <space> 32 digit activation code that you received via SMS/email and tap Connect
- Now your Jio eSIM is fully activated and you can check it in SIM card manager.
- Open Settings and tap on Mobile data
- Select Add Data Plan
- Now scan the QR code received on your mail
- After scanning, select Add data plan again and choose your desired data plan label
- Tap on Continue and your eSIM is fully activated and configured.
If you are using JIO SIM card then follow these steps to enable eSIM on your iOS device:
- In Add Data Plan option, select Enter details manually
- You will see an SM-DP+address column, enter smdprd.jio.com there
- Now type the activation code that you got in the eSIM Profile Configuration SMS
- After this tap on Next in the top right corner and your eSIM will be activated
e-SIM Operators in India (eSIM Carriers in India)
Jio, Vodafone Idea (Vi), and Airtel, India’s three largest telecom operators, offer eSIM functionality for supported devices.
Jio, Vi, and Airtel also offer the ability to convert your physical SIM into an eSIM for devices that support it. An eSIM can only be downloaded to a compatible smartphone and for now, only Apple, Samsung, Google and Motorola offer phones that support eSIM functionality in India. So, if you want to use eSIM with any of the three telecom companies, here is a step-by-step guide. Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi during the activation process.
Airtel eSIM Activation
You cannot apply, but you can convert your physical SIM card to Airtel eSIM. This can be done from the comfort of your home, using the following steps
- SMS eSIM to 121 with your email id in the format ‘eSIMemail’
- If your email ID is valid, you will receive an SMS confirming the start of the process of converting your physical SIM to e-SIM.
- Reply with ‘1’ to confirm the eSIM change request. According to Airtel’s website, this has to be done within 60 seconds
- Next, you will be asked to consent to another call out of 121
- Then, a message with a QR code will be sent to your email device
- After this the Airtel eSIM activation process will start. Your existing SIM will continue to work during this period.
Jio eSIM Activation
Unlike airtel, you can convert physical sim to digital sim from jio store or online.
- Make eSIM activation request : Send SMS GETESIM <32 Digit EID> <15 Digit IMEI> to 199 from your device having Active Jio SIM.
- Share eSIM number for eSIM processing: Type SIMCHG <19-digit eSIM number> and send SMS to 199. After two hours, you will receive an update on eSIM processing.
- Confirm & Activate e-SIM: Send ‘1’ to 183 as SMS to confirm. After that, you will receive an IVR call. Provide 19-digit eSIM number and it’s done.
vi eSIM activation
Vi’s postpaid existing or new customers who have an eligible device can get an e-SIM, then convert your physical SIM to eSIM with the steps listed below:
- SMS eSIM<space> registered email id to 199
- You will receive a confirmation SMS. Reply to this message with “ESIMY” to confirm the eSIM change request
- Thereafter, you will receive another SMS from 199 asking you to consent to the call
- Once this is done, you will receive a QR code on your registered email id
- The code will activate Vodafone Idea eSIM
What is the difference between SIM and eSIM?
Yes that’s right, both are sim. However, a SIM card is a chip that is physically installed or removed inside your phone along with your carrier’s plan. An eSIM (Embedded SIM) is embedded in your phone and downloads your carrier’s plan indirectly.
Can eSIM be hacked?
If a user wishes to change the profile, the embedded SIM can be configured to request verification from an operator. This application can only come from the user, but a hacker with a lost phone may be able to modify the profile successfully.
Can eSIM be stolen?
An eSIM card cannot be stolen without stealing the phone, whereas removable SIM cards are sometimes stolen, and used in port out scams.